I love how the search engines are always trying to tell us how to increase ROI from our advertising. Should we trust them?
Microsoft adCenter recently shared a blog post on increasing your pay per click advertising ROI. In a nutshell, their five tips are:
- Test ad copy
- Bid on keyword match types
- Add or update negative keywords based on current news
- Include 20 or less keywords per ad group
- Apply geographic and demographic targeting
This is a good list. I’ll buy the five. But there are some missing from it. The list is primarily purposed to sell Microsoft adCenter features and not to help advertisers make money. What should be added to the list to increase your ROI are:
- Use a strong call to action in your ad
- Ensure that your landing page is optimized and ready for traffic
- Make your ad content and landing page keyword-compatible
- Bid the right amount on your keywords
- Delete underperforming keywords as soon as possible
- Group your keywords effectively
Making money from online advertising is a science. It takes some creativity and careful forethought. You can’t just wing it. You need a plan. If you have a good plan and you act on it with a purpose, you can achieve a high ROI from pay per click advertising.